PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOW Airlines (Iceland)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 16:51
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh alright- like a slippery Moray Eel, I can't stay in my slimy little hole, so here I come. Let me give you the saga of KEF-UK air operations. Loftleidir for many years, then Icelandair to LHR. Iceland Express starts up ops to Europe using one or two weird ACMI operators from Europe. Owners of IEX buy Astraeus and use them for services ex KEF to Europe (LGW), and eventually US- infrastructure struggles to handle. Executive of holding company owner of IEX and Astraeus takes clever decision (after demand for further charge from ground handlers KEF) to decline further revenue for handling US flights and sacks said ground handlers, precipitating immediate crisis for recruitment and training of new staff at KEF for start date of 1 June (good one!). 3 hour delays trying to reconcile transfer bags US>KEF>Europe, and no duty frees (no bonded warehouse). Said executive sacked, sued by holding company for fiddling, plans to start WOW in comp with IEX. All made up, in time for November, flow of funds to Astraeus cut off. New carrier ready same day to cont ops, reduced IEX op covered by CSA Holidays A320s. Latest episode in this saga from the northern lands is smaller IEX operation, WOW allegedly coming with a Canadian operator flying services, EJ flying to LTN 3 times a week, Norwegian and SAS appearing. Is there room? My posterior!

Now if you are going to put up money for a ticket- don't consider relative cost Credit card/Debit card- just go for total safety! The owner of IEX/Astraeus has driven 4 airlines under, and one of the directors has branched out on his own while he still has a virgin record and has yet to follow the usual course of airline ownership up north! Meanwhile, one understands nobody has any money coming- staff, taxis, training organisations, contractors, aeroplane leasors, property landlords, navigation charges, landing fees....you get the picture? Meanwhile, the 30+ ground handlers at KEF, up to 170 Astraeus staff, many Icelandic 737/757 pilots at KEF employed by Astraeus....all redundant, whilst the owners totally walk away from all liabilities. It's almost funny.

If I were you, I would not invest in airlines near the Arctic Circle. Only buy tickets with a credit card. Beware it is still (even after a big devaluation) stonking expensive up there. The country is very beautifully scenic, but so is Scotland, but the volcanoes are a bit short there. But good luck!