PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Future Pilot Programme (FPP)(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 14:07
Romeo Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking along similar lines to Loosehead... BA have said that they will act as guarantor for the borrowings, if a candidate wishes to pursue this particular financing route. I certainly have some questions about the whole thing, and if I happen to receive an email with a big "Yes" in it, I will be making an appointment with some sort of financial adviser, and possibly an employment lawyer too...

Let's imagine the case of a spritely young cadet on course "FPP1" who completes an A320 type rating, only to discover that BA don't have space for him. For argument's sake, he has no significant assets to speak of, and fails at securing any sort of employment elsewhere. He defaults on his loan repayments and, as guarantor, British Airways are liable for the debt. Am I right?

Now we imagine cadet number two, who is ever so slightly more spritely, and who also successfully completes "FPP1" with an A320 TR, and manages eventually to secure an entry-level ground based position with another carrier, and begins to earn a salary of £16000. Similarly, he cannot support himself and afford to maintain his loan payments simultaneously. He does, however, earn enough money to pay his creditors, in principle. Who is liable for his borrowings?

In the meantime, a couple of points - this composite BA recruiting strategy involving FPP, DEP and managed path - is designed to fill the seats that will be created by the new fleets that are due to enter service, and those created through retirements. There is no indication, at present, that either of these is affected by APD increase, or the deeper undercurrents that are the affecting the business as a whole. That is not to say that A380 and 787 will not be under threat in the future. We have heard about removing a 744 next summer, and maybe 2 more. This isn't great news, but that is an issue for the short term, and any recruitment issues arising should be met by the short term recruiting tool - DEP.

Having just spent three years completing an air transport management degree, and patiently awaiting the BA reply, it did occur to me yesterday when I heard the APD news that the only positive I can draw from this is that I won't have to write 5000 words on it...