PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check your GPS airspace alerts
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 07:43
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Check your GPS airspace alerts

Okay, first of all, hands up - I screwed up and infringed some class A recently. I've owned up to it, and have been doing a certain amount of introspection to see how I can avoid doing it again.

When covering all bases, I asked myself "hang on, I was using a Garmin GPS with current database and airspace alerts, why the hell didn't it warn me, it warned me about lots of other airspace".

I went into the menus (Tools > Setup > SUA Alarms) and discovered that my Garmin has separate on/off "switches" for:

Class B / TMA
Class C / TCA
Class D
Restricted
Military
Other
Euro Airway.

And whilst I had some of those turned on, I didn't have all of them turned on. I don't recall mucking with these settings since I bought it, so *think* this was the factory defaults.

Experimentally, I told it to restore defaults - and it turned ALL airspace warnings off. Eeek!

So, I've grovelled and apologised to NATS, and I've turned ALL my airspace warnings on.

Can I suggest anybody else who flies with an aviation GPS (which I'm guessing is most people reading this) checks their airspace warning settings, then only one of us has to apologise to NATS.

It would be interesting if anybody else who finds that their GPS wouldn't have warned them of CAS could (after turning all the warnings on!) post here what they found.

G