PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seek for suggestions for getting a PPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 23:37
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-XXX is being a bit dramatic, to put a probably overly negative comment in perspective! That said: I agree with him there are dangerous situations at both locations.

My perspective is that there is more cowboy-ism away from the major airfields and that applies in equal amounts to GA and RA pilots. The problem is that when a GA pilot does it, he's just an idiot. When someone sees and RA pilot doing it, we're all idiots. Not to mention that at many of these airfield RA outnumbers GA 5 to 1 so yes, you are five times more likely to see an RA pilot being a cowboy there.

The truth is that flying training is safest of all flying with the exception of jet airliners and possibly gliding. Yes, lots of bent aircraft from hard landings, prop strikes, etc. but almost no injuries or fatalities, simply because it is all in such a controlled environment. There is no "get there-itis"; weather not good enough? You are not going on that nav. Crosswind too strong? No solo circuits for you today, my friend!

Where abouts around Melbourne are you? There are other GA/RA fields around the place that may be closer for you.