PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Standards
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 05:50
Le Pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Contrary to popular dispatches may I suggest that the CAA considers a licenced engineer to be a mature and responsible individual...
I am sorry to disagree with you Thor. But If you have read any of the recent CAA publications or even the replies to letters in the ALAE rag. You will know that the head of Engineer Licencing views us with nothing more than contempt. Refusing to even acknowledge that we are even Engineers. Now after a four year apprenticeship, an HND, two CAA licences and five aircraft types I am a "technician". Not even worthy of professional status in his eyes.

As for the Pilots, I have no complaints there. To a man, they are supportive and often generous with their praise. However, irrespective of the weather conditions and ALLOWABLE defects the aircraft is carrying, they have chosen to do the job. If it was all clear blue skies and aircraft that never break we would all be happier. But that isn't going to happen.

If anything the AWN's quoted give us less freedom. Now we cannot even release something under our own discretion. And all AWN 47 does, is give the management the threat of "Well if you can't cope there are plenty who can".

As for the media. I do agree with you there. It would kill the aviation industry. I have recently spent days trying (and succeeding) to persuade a colleague not to write to the Times. His anger was incandescent. But it would have destroyed his career and probably the company we work for. As you say, we will work from within to get it right. Even if it takes a lifetime.

LP