PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying
Thread: Winter Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 20:24
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Flying with frost

The following is one of the many very relevant passages from an accident report:

Frost contamination of the wing upper surface would cause the loss of approximately 19% of maximum lift coefficient, which would result in the stall speed in the turn being approximately 67 KIAS rather than 60 KIAS. Increased drag caused by frost contamination would result in a reduced rate of climb, explaining why the aircraft reached 200 to 300 feet when calculations show the aircraft should have reached 400 to 500 feet agl. The aircraft's stall warning system, with an audio and visual warning, should have activated 5-10 knots above the normal stall speed. As the pilots apparently did not react to recover from a stall warning and impending stall, it could be surmised that the stall warning did not activate before the aircraft stalled, indicating that the aircraft stalled before its speed reduced to 65-70 KIAS. Frost on the wings would result in a higher than normal stall speed and also inhibit normal impending stall indications such as buffet. When the aircraft stalled, it entered a spin, uncharacteristic of this airplane. Frost on the wings would explain the loss of control and abnormal after-stall characteristics of the aircraft. There had been frost during the previous night, and although no one apparently saw frost on the aircraft lifting surfaces before or after the accident, there is no plausible condition other than frost contamination that would explain this accident. It is therefore concluded that there was frost on the aircraft's lifting surfaces when the aircraft took off.

The whole report is here: (It's a very good read!)

Transportation Safety Board of Canada - AVIATION Reports - 2003 - A03O0088

If that does not give you the frost willies, I don't know what would.

I flew this aircraft just before the other pilots crashed it. I can assure readers, that it has a "high lift" wing, in the sense that pilots like the ubiquitous PA-28 wing, and lots of power to maybe help yourself out of a tight spot. The crash pilot was said to be very experienced on this aircraft type, and with winter flying.

(sorry about the photo file size, Photobucket said it shrank them to 400 x 400, but I have my doubts)

Do you still want to fly with frost?

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 6th Dec 2011 at 20:39.