PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR1 question?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 20:10
jackaroo747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tornado GR1 questions?

Thanks for replying guys, and bringing a lot to light, but it has sprouted more questions, I have several. I'm really into the Cold War era Tornado and would like to know more about it

I did mean 920mph not 920kts if this clears anything up, the Press (Shouldnt trust them I know) has stated in some sources the F3 can hit 1700 so this is obviously wrong; I assume it is around 1500, in mph, as you guys have also said in knots and Mach Number.

And I am aware the fuel consumption increases fivefold or tenfold when you go supersonic, so thats 60kg per minute at normal power but six hundred at supersonic speeds - You'd be dry pretty fast wouldn't you?! The GR1 crews must have hated getting bounced!

So the GR1 could do 920 miles per hour at low level. Being a bit old-fashioned and stubborn, I work in miles as opposed to knots, Mach number etc. Would the speed change at altitude? As in at twenty thousand? Assuming the aircraft was 'clean' without tanks?

I see it's all about fuel. The only time you have too much is when you're on fire. When you tank, can you 'refill' the external tanks from the tanker? As in controlling the fuel flow to the wing tanks as opposed to internal? And would the pilot or nav do this?

Some of these questions may sound obvious. I apologize for my ignorance but I am not as 'switched on' and I'm just a spotter not a pilot