PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 23yo model walks into propeller
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 20:04
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't there are report recently issued concerning a similar accident in the UK where a girl stepped of the front of a PA-28 wing?

My education as a pilot instilled into me a fear of propellers in the same way that once people had a fear of God: that is a supreme respect for the things at all times, whether apparently alive or dead, and an understanding that they may smite ye down without warning. This has served me well so far, but often my attitude is challenged as risk averse or old fashioned (however isn't it a good thing to be averse to unnecessary risk). I cringe when I see people handling propellers casually, putting arms and necks through the discs on walkarounds, pull aircraft by the blades, curl fingers around the trailing edge when hand-swinging or sucking in, stand or walk too close to props and tail rotors. I can't help but form opinions about professionalism based on what I see.

A pilot has an even greater responsibility to ensure the safety of his passengers who are generally completely ignorant of the many risks that props and rotors pose. The PIC must brief pax thoroughly in advance, and most recent acidents have occurred to pax that have received no briefing whatsoever. Running changes were normal when I was on a UAS but everyone had been briefed beforehand. The problem is that most new PPL pilots and many instructors seem unalert to the dangers, and so the chance of warnings filtering down to first time passengers is almost zero - unfortunately with the expected consequences.