PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Idea!!
Thread: No Idea!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 03:45
I Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it must be a general society thing. A bit like phone box wrecking. "I don't own it, I don't have to pay for it or for fixing it - I don't give a rats a***. I try to teach my students all the good bits that gottom 2 dollars talks about, and then some more. A lot of my students are not interested. The general attitude is "put the minimum in - get the maximum out". I get my students to study via the Trevor Thom books. They ask me to tell them what the important bits are they should read. I tell them the unimportant bits have been left out already. They are happy to pass the exam with 70.5%. I tell them that you can't pass a flight with 99%. The 1% might kill you. Needless to say some go elsewhere where it is easier to get the 'ticket'. It always amuses me on how many people know exactly what it is they "don't need to know", but few know what they "need to know". Flying schools get a lot of flack and I'm sure some deserve every bit of it, but, "you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink". I have 2 teenagers at home. They come home from high school and know exactly what rights they have. They don't seem to have a clue what responsibilities they have. One of our fellows ppruners signs off with something like "experience is a hard task master, you get the test first and the lesson later". Too many people want that ticket without the experience and lessons. The customer is king and if the customer shops around a bit, the customer gets what the customer wants.