PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Idea!!
Thread: No Idea!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 03:37
compressor stall

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts
There is no clear cut answer to this issue.

Flying schools are not entirely to blame. It's business and what sells, so they cannot be blamed for pursuing what is necessary for the company's survivial.

Sure they may not have many instructors who have a lot of 'real world' GA charter, but there are not too many people who are interested in instructing once they have accrued hours 'up north' and are ready for turbine jobs...

If one flying school then decided to pay wages appropriate to attract a bush pilot instructor type back to the big smoke, then it would be out of business pretty smart, as little johnny (or parents therof) want little johnny to be an airline pilot, and those glossy brochures of 767s are sadly what is sold.

As has been lamented in other threads most is the fact that pilots are not taught to fly these days - they are taught to be an airline pilot in a GA light aircraft, and they are two totally different things. Procedures are different, and they should be taught as such.

A good example of this (which is a can of worms in itself) is the use of checklists in light aircraft 'cos that's the way airlines do it.

A non pilot colleague who travels with my company and has travelled with another company remarked on the fact that a pilot for company XYZ shut the doors in the C4XX, and proceeded to carefully go through his prestart checks methodically and s l o w l y from a checklist. This had a double effect on the passengers - some it unnerved ("is this pilot new?") and they all started melting in the 50+C temps brewing in the cabin. Eventually, the engine was started and the aircon switched on.

I believe that in the 'real' world, one starts that engine ASAP and gets that aircon on. The second engine, txpr codes, taxi calls, ATIS listening, can wait if it needs, get the pax comfortable first.

Much airmanship also boils down to common sense, and sadly that is very difficult to teach. You can lead a horse to water.... Ever driven in a car with a pilot whose airmanship skills you believe are a little lacking? Well funnily enough road skills are often lacking too....

Lack of HF radio skills is a popular thing browned northern pilots lament about in their green southern colleagues. In reality, there are very few aircraft fitted with serviceable HFs. I had 800 odd hours before I headed north and had never flown an HF equipped aircraft. What it boils down to are: Senior pilots/CPs taking a new green pilot under his/her wings and imparting this knowledge (and removing said GPS!) AND the willingness for a pilot who may have been top of his/her heap in the flying school down south and knew lots to be humble and know that there its a lot to learn.

Another airmanship thing - runups when stationary on gravel. Also the revving of engines when cold AND on gravel - the pinging of the props on sucked up gravel. Regularly I would clear an area under my prop(s) of lose gravel with foot or hand. Some pilots though that was stupid, but I never damaged a prop from gravel (and I was usually the only pilot to fly the aircraft for the whole 100 hours).

It is up to us more senior/expereinced outback operators to encourage and foster the new pilots to these less obvious tricks, and it will work as long as they (and anyone else for that matter realises that A CPL is a licence to learn.

[/RANT]