PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sopwith's Herbert Smith
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 11:23
Fournierf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The invisible man again . . !

According to a letter from Geoffrey Jones, in Flight, February 1978 . ..

For several years I was NAW's public relations officer and editor of the Northern Aeroplane Workshop journal, 'Tripe'. I was thus fortunate to meet Herbert Smith when he became an honorary member of NAW and participated in as many events as his age would permit. We soon appreciated how little recognition Herbert had received, and largely through the efforts of NAW founder John Langham, Herbert was made an honorary companion of the RAeS early in 1975. This was a long overdue distinction for one of this country's most brilliant aeroplane designers.

Anyone at the NAW care to assist?

The RAEs is not helpful, the listing on their rather impenetrable website simply shows . . .

1975 H. Kremer
1975 Sir R. Verdon-Smith

which is odd if this is an 'official' listing! An email to their library chappie (Brian Riddle) asking if there was any ceremony attached to this 'honour' . . . photos taken of the event . . . did the RAes have a picture of Herbert Smith . . . . brought no response (although their website still shows him as a point of contact) . . . and contacting RAEs on AGB's device was a waste of time, I don't recall anyone comprehending what the word ''archive' actually meant! So, ironically, it's still a riddle.

Anyone else like to try!

Last edited by Fournierf5; 11th Dec 2011 at 11:43. Reason: rewrite