PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 08:36
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDF,

I would agree with many of your points, some of which echo what I have said earlier on this thread.

Where you talk of HSR complementing domestic flights, in some cases the choice you mention is a desire to connect onward from those hubs, although CDG does offer that option direct from numerous other cities in France. As for MXP - two high speed trains a day isn't quite cutting it yet, whereas MAD-BCN has seen massive cuts in flights since the AVE link opened, but AVE frequency is still some way off VT BHM or MAN - EUS.

I would question this though:

(6) the “green” arguments against Heathrow runway expansion are bogus: how is it “green” to have aircraft burning fuel circling while waiting to land, and to have aircraft burning fuel idling while queuing up to take off? Bear in mind also that Frankfurt Rhein-Main got approval for two more runways WHILE THE GERMAN GREEN PARTY WAS IN GOVERNMENT.
a) Were the Greens not in coalition, and b) would that decision not have been taken locally, and still subject to many German equivalents of a Section 106 agreement?