PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seek for suggestions for getting a PPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 08:01
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, there are definitely money grabbers out there; if they are concerned that your training wasn't good enough, then they will find out when they start flying with you. If your flying it good enough, your training was good enough!

Finding a school that does both works best. I have no personal experience with Tooradin, but hear good things about them.

I trained at a school at a Parafield that does RA and GA. Got my RA with cross country at just over 40 hours. Then I went of on my own for just over 2 years and another 170 hours.

Now I just finished 9 hours in the C172 and next up is the flight test next week! All I did was the PPL theory test and the flying. (I already had a medical) No need for SPL, fly the GFPT test, etc. (Though without an SPL, I have never actually solo-ed the 172! But there is no requirement for that.)

Another way to do it is a mixed approach that some do is doing basic training in RA and then do all or most of the navs in GA. If you want your full PPL as soon as possible and have your RA to boot, that may be the most efficient way.

A dual school like Tooradin should happily cater for that!