PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 07:26
Chronic Snoozer

Received 333 Likes on 127 Posts
What a fascinating thread. Having known of the Erebus accident, this thread prompting me to research it further. One cannot help but put yourself in the same situation and think what you (as Captain) would or could have done differently to prevent the outcome. The Impact Erebus program talks about 'Sets' and clearly from a psychological standpoint I think there is trememdous merit in Vette's discussion of mindset and expectancy. These 'sets' can invariably lead to a loss of situational awareness because data which contradicts the 'set' is either disregarded or deemed invalid. Worse, poor data ie weather conditions, is accepted because it fits what you expect.

To simply point to pilot error would ignore the specific circumstances and deny everyone the opportunity to learn the full extent of the causes. I suggest that the thread has descended somewhat into a tit for tat on certain points. I see no reason why both investigators' reports should not be able to coexist without one's merit having to be challenged over the other. Good has come from both viewpoints. Nor is it necessary to denigrate the characters, it seems both carried out their duties, not faultlessly, but with honest intent.

Ultimately I can agree with the assessment of pilot error, however not in isolation. Similarly, absolution of the crew is a laudable goal but not one that I understand Vette was pursuing. The nub of his quest was mentioned earlier
"I realised that if Jim Collins, a Captain I had known for 20-odd years, [and] an exceptional pilot in all respects, could be a victim of this terrible crash then so could I, and so could any of the rest of us".
However as is human want, blame must be apportioned, but it is not the purpose of investigations. I like to think that of the slices of Swiss cheese which formed the barriers preventing this accident, those responsible for each barrier were holding a slice of cheese with differing sized holes.

In what situation, under what circumstances, would you, as Captain of an airliner weighing 150 tonnes, feel comfortable doing 250 knots, clean, straight and level, below 1500 feet?
I guess the answer would be if you worked for ANZ doing pre-planned Antarctic scenic flights. Part of the 'set', its been done before, this is normal, this is how you do it.

It is a very good question particularly in view of comments on the CVR such as
Doesn't sound very promising, does it?
and
Actually, these conditions don't look very good at all, do they?
Didn't sound all that 'comfortable' did it?

Where's Erebus in relation to us a the moment? Left, about 20 or 25 miles.
That is chilling. The factors that put an aircraft and its crew in such 'situational unawareness' are factors I want to know about and learn from.