PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying first family airplane.
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 06:39
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear !

Flyingstone you really have been fed some rubbish.

Quote:- The Robin has problems with C of G (aft limits)

Another bit of flying club folk lore , the Robin has no aft C og G issues apart from the fact that if you place all of the very good payload at the back it will go out of limits...........just like all the other light aircraft I have flown.

At MTOW with full fuel if you have a long range tank under the baggage bay you can drive the aircraft out of the aft limit (just) if you mismanage the fuel but you have four and a half hours flying to manage to do that.

The problems that you encountered with the nose gear centering not disengaging were due to the incorrect servicing of the landing gear shock struts, the early maintenance manuals were a poor translation into English so there was some excuse but the later editions are crystal clear so all problems in this area should have gone away about ten years ago.

The thing that I just cant get my head around is why you wont fly a wooden aircraft IMC ? even the early jets such as the Vampire were made of wood and they traveled at speeds & altitudes far above what a light aircaft can do so what is the problem with wood?

Last edited by A and C; 6th Dec 2011 at 07:36.