PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there REALLY a shortage of LAE's?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2011, 17:19
greatwhitehunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well crystal that was simply my view based on 42 years experience in the civil aviation maintenance business. I base it on my day to day observations of the capabilities of the people I see around me and the quality of the training they and I now get. Many courses are conducted by presenters who turn and read pages and cannot go into detail when requsted. It's important to know the how and why as well as the what of a system.
Over the years the technology changes and the skill set required changes. The aim is to produce a 'well rounded engineer'. I'm sorry if you think I am denigrating these people, I'm not. Neither am I an 'it was better in my day' merchant, I am reflecting the fact that the length and quality of training has been cut. I see an increasing decline in basic hand skills and ever more clear failures in basic understanding of the systems being worked on. You can not seriously expect me to deny my experience and say all is well? It isn't.
With adequate training and commitment the youngsters of today are just as good as any in the past. The question is will they be trained well enough when overseen by cost concious managers who quite often have no operational experience and consequently no idea of what is required.
I have always done my best to bring these younger engineers on but with demands for more production with less staff there are limits.
As I move towards leaving the industry I wish all my fellows well but I am worried by the dip in competency I see.