PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How "Flexible" are the CAA's medical regs?
Old 5th Dec 2011, 13:59
Eyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How "Flexible" are the CAA's medical regs?

Hi,

To cut a long story short, I went for my Class 1 initial last year, failed on the grounds of Long QT syndrome, a genetic heart condition which nearly always ends in sudden cardiac death. I was lucky enough that I only had it very mildly that, after shelling out a few bob on the caa's endless tests, I was granted with a Class 1 OML restricted medical.

Now, this wasn't good enough for me. Although it would enable me to get my licence, there was little to no chance of me being able to get a job at the end of it. So I went on with my own private investigations, and ended up seeing possibly one of the top cardiologists in the world (who charged less than the CAA believe it or not), who did all the tests needed, including genetic testing, which came back with a result that I am medically 100% fit, or in other words, I am at no more of a risk than anyone else, if not less as I'm a physically fit and active person.

Now the question is, in others experiences, would a letter with results from such a notable figure in cardiology, with such hard evidence of my state of fitness, cause the CAA to rethink their restriction under current JAA law? According to them, I am unfit, according to the best in medical science, I am fit.

Am I wasting my time? Or shall I be patient and wait for EASA to come out, where I believe their laws are changing (whenever that is).

Thanks