PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Performance
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 23:46
aerobat77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you base the landing performance on the reported head wind, i.e.100% wind, then adding 50% of that wind speed to Vref, results in the aircraft having a higher groundspeed than assumed in the landing calculation. This requires more landing distance, which against a planned full-wind distance represents a reduced margin of safety.
Landing distance calculations should be adjusted to account for the higher Vref.
thats right - when you PLAN the landing distance taking into account the wind you reduce margins by this method. but i must say i never had a situation where the decision if a landing is possible or not ( due to rw lenght) was made with taking the assumed wind into account. especially not at scheduled operations .

i referred to a planning with zero wind and vref on a given runway and adding the half head wind to actual conditions. this will reduce the point of touch down ( the same glide path) as well the actuall overall landing distance vs planned landing distance.

I think you might be missing the point a tad. By including some wind in the calculations (whatever factor) the result is that the landing distance required is reduced. Certainly, for a given airspeed, the groundspeed will reduce as well but the concern is that the scheduled distance is less and, for a limiting runway you have less seal to play with .
the same like written above- you are right when you have to hope for a headwind to make a landing on a given ruway lenght legally possible. but i never saw this on scheduled operations on a fixed route.

If your technique and finesse is of such a high order, you might be one of these exceptional folk who can flare onto the ground every time
lol, no, no extraordinaire aviatior behind the aerobat thats kind of touch down is just what you aim for. i would say i am able to manage good landings, the technique depends much on the type, but of course one is more firm than the other. and when you see you tend to float away you just set her on the ground- firm or not . beautiful landings are possible with the bae146 when retarding power early since this plane is a glider and flares in, on a turboprop its the opposite- pulling back to idle on a cheyenne at 50 ft over the threshold may even result in a crash since she virtually stops flying at power idle and the wing is not that forgiving like e.g in a king air and you may stall and complete your last feets ballistic - that would be a truly firm touchdown.