PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fears for Pentagon air power as Iran claims drone capture
Old 4th Dec 2011, 21:18
iRaven

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts
Bolleaux

It is an advanced version of the Sentinel jet using radar-evading technology similar to that on the B2 Stealth bomber
Sentinel R1 and RQ-170 Sentinel are TOTALLY different capabilities. Plus B2 is SOOOO much more stealth than RQ-170. Here's why:

No stealth measures on U/C doors or exhaust

Now on the B-2 the exhaust is diffused, it is covered in RAM and look at the leading edges of the doors - that's stealth.

RQ-170 has a reduced RADAR signature by the looks of it, but I see no evidence of significant use of RADAR Absorbent Material (RAM) or fancy shapes to reduce the RADAR cross-section - and I saw one reasonably up close at KAF to make that judgment.

All in all, looks like the Times needs a new aviation expert. Sad for the 30th if they have lost a jet, though. But it could be engine failure, comms failure, operator error or a host of other issues before spouting off about Electronic Attack of the Data-Links (if similar to MQ-1 or MQ-9 any denial of the link would see it fly back in a pre-programmed emergency mode).

What a load of supposition and made up journalism this is as well (something beginning with "s" anyway):
the report from Tehran also said it had been recovered without serious damage. This would imply that it was not hit by anti-aircraft defence systems but by electronic counter-measures.
So, Lyneham Lad, my thoughts are "bolleaux"

iRaven