PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Observer
Thread: Police Observer
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 21:00
Gazzer1uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regardless of potential, being a police officer and getting experience on the ground about behaviours of people is invaluable. It is not policemens nose, its policemens senses, weighing up circumstances, anticipating etc.

I have no doubt a civilian could be trained up to and be a good observer, but it would take time to gain the experience the plod already has, so in the value for money stakes, quicker return on investment, your average plod would have some advantage in the short and medium term.

If you think of the control room where many civilians do expert work, it is proof that potential of either plod or civvy is there for the taking, but what is true is a new civvy is not as "considered" as a plod taking the role, he only has to learn the kit and computers, the "behaviours" needs of others etc has already been learned and the fledgling civvy will get a hard learning curve from bobby on the beat, I can tell you that with conviction!

However, back to the thread, I had not realised the numbers of aircraft were actually as low as they are that but it does not surprise me and that they are getting lower makes it a pretty narrow career path, secondary to the prime role I guess.

And for the record, yes its good when you get it (wind, rain, sunlight, fuel, scary dark patches, slight cloud, full moon often avoiding attendance when asked!! :-)), but speaking as one directed into a pile of horse crap whilst searching one night, the dog is cheaper but not as fast in a pursuit!!!

Gaz