PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 20:22
magpienja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting stuff...me and my mate used to make the trip from Liverpool...I have dates in my old civil makings yes I still have them...dating to 1968 at Ringway,

It was quite an journey for us young lads from Liverpool....bus to Lime St Station Liverpool up to mch Picadilly I think it was....then a long walk to get a bus to Ringway We where about 14 at the time,

VHF manual tuning air-band radios where just becoming easily available...I had a big VHF Skymaster with its big square battery...gee I had many many hours of enjoyment from that radio and got many cops on F/O with it...remember aircraft used the reg as the call-sign then...todays scanner owners dont know how lucky they are,

My mate had a smaller radio I think it was a Sherock or something like that...I also remember we had to take our radios into the telecom office to have them checked to make sure the caused no interference and then getting a stcker clering them....there being a sign warning of this on the main building,

I also remember the ATC comms being put out over the P/A sys all the way down the piers,

Fantastic days...with so many interesting a/c that we never go to see at out local Speke...Liverpool Airport....

We used to have probs getting the reg numbers off the light a/c parked on the south side on hot summer days due heat shimmer distorting the view with our telescopes.

Nick.