PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seek for suggestions for getting a PPL
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 14:11
roger_hujin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seek for suggestions for getting a PPL

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to general aviation, but it is one of my dream to learn flying since childhood. Now I finally make up my mind to go for a PPL. So for sure, I have a lot of questions to ask now, I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some hints or suggestions before I start.

The first thing is to choose a good school:

I have read a lot of the posts in this forum and done my research on internet. It seems MFT in YMMB is a good choice. I in fact walked in to MFT's office in 2009/2010 and talked to a guy who I cannot recall his name. He was very friendly and explained to me very well, but I did not ask him to show me around (no idea about the process at that time). I think now I need to visit them again after reading all those good suggestions from this forum and have a final check before I commit. So thank you guys first!

The second thing is about the total cost:

In terms of the cost, the MFT's cost estimation gives me a number which is PPL TOTAL $23,375.70, and they did that based on 66.5 hours of flight time (10 hours solo). Their website does say they estimate the price in the "worst" case and most of the trainees will finish the course by spending less money than this. So I want to see if anybody here trained or instructed in MFT can give me an idea about how much cost actually is? I understand the official requirement is 40 hours, and understand it depends on individual progress, but just wonder in general, is it most of the people will have to have 60+ hours to pass PPL?

Also, the cost includes $1,250 for theory course, I think they give the choice of having the the course or self-study, just wonder if self-study is practical or it is better to have the course?

There are also other costs for Test fees, books which seems unavoidable, but some of them I guess there may be some cheaper alternatives, like Headset with a price lower than $500?

The third question is about the aircraft hire:

I am doing this just for recreational purpose (I am aware many people here is doing that as a career), so once I get the PPL, I want to fly myself or my family to some places for holiday etc. Reading the rates sheet for aircraft hire, MFT's website said the rate includes fuel, landing fee, and it seems just include everything. Wondering if that really include everything and will there be any surprise for me when I finally get my license to do it?

The fourth question is about the PPL itself:

Once I get the PPL, do I have to fly certain amount of hours each year to maintain the licence valid? or what should I do to "renew" it? If I stop flying for a year or two, does it invalid my license?

I knew it is a lot of questions and there are even more I want to ask, but these I think are the most important to me before I start a PPL training. All suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you!