PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Performance
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 14:07
aerobat77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi john !

so adding some airspeed to the vref will not make you go faster in regards to groundspeed when you have a head wind.

But keep in mind that the distance required is based on 50% of that headwind so your argument is a bit full of holes.
but adding just 50% of the headwind component makes you go actually slower over ground ( comparing to vref no wind ) and reduces the disctance to the tdz on a steady glide .

when it comes to flare you should aim for a smooth touchdown

I suggest that the aim is NOT for a smooth touchdown but, rather, a firm touchdown consistent with minimising the flare distance. Indeed a very smooth touchdown is not a good practice as it generally involves needless float .. although it is very pleasing to one's ego.
i meant with it you should aim for a manouvre where you in one sentence come down to ground, minimize descend rate at the last feet of height and neither hit hard nor stop descend fully , maybe climb again one feet, trying to correct for a smooth touchdown and so floating over the runway. you aim for a firm touchdown only on wet runways to minimize risk of hydroplaning. too firm may also result in bouncing, especially when not having autospoilers.

but i agree that in doubt a firm touchdown is better that floating over the runway- on some airplanes both excessive floating as well bouncing may also result in a tailstrike.

best regards !