PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying
Thread: Winter Flying
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 11:48
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
"what-you-can-get-away-with" opinions.
Yes. This to me is one of the few, but major problems with PPRuNe. The "P" does stand for professional, does it not? There are many things I have done, and survived, but that does not mean that I'm going to describe them here, or suggest that they are safely possible. I'm not going to mention them at all, or simply state that based upon my experience, they should not be attempted. It's the only moral and and "professional" thing to do.

I have first hand knowledge of the skill and experience of about ten PPRuNers, the rest of you are a guess to me. I will not be the one who describes something I know may be possible, albeit with lots of skill, many variables, and a big risk, to an audience of people whose skill and experience is unknown to me. It is the safe, conservative, and professional thing to do, to first say, follow the Flight Manual, and there after, generally "if you have to ask - no".

Similar to fooling around in icing, we recently had a thread inviting comments about aerobatics in non aerobatic aircraft. We do not need to "ramp up" the excitement on PPRuNe, by increasing the threshold of risk the participants should accept as normal. If anything, based upon increasing tribal knowledge, the threshold should be reducing, unless new technology is mitigating it. We have deiced aircraft, use them for icing conditions, we have aerobatic aircraft, use them for aerobatics, we have floatplanes, use them for water landings.

Some silly pilot sees or reads about water skiing wheel planes (Ok, I'm assuming), and then an a plane is up side down in the Derwent river. Apparently that pilot tried something else that did not work either. He did not know that the technique is not possible in tricycle aircraft! I sure hope the advice to attempt that was not presented on PPRuNe.

My entire job is to test and evaluate modified aircraft to assure that they do what they are supposed to, don't do what they should not, and have a margin of safety to allow for variance in pilot skill. I sure am not gong to participate here in enticing pilots of completely unknown (to me) skill and judgement, into those risky corners I spend my working day trying to keep them out of!

Contributors here would, in my opinion, do best to offer advice, which conforms as closely as possible to the approved and accepted practices usually presented in the Flight Manual, or national regulations.