PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2011, 10:52
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonzo:

Sorry? Assuming we take that the artist's impression as a fixed blueprint (??)
One would hope that Foster does not issue flights of fancy to the press and the public, and had thought about the project for more than 2 minutes. What will be his next project, a skyscraper leaning at a 45 degree angle? ( "Yes, well, it was only an artist's impression...." )

Gonzo:

the LSA for CAT III ILS only has to be protected for landing clearance when the landing clearance is given, normally at 2nm, exceptionally at 1nm.
If you give me a CAT IIIb landing clearance at just 1nm/300ft, and declare the Sensitive Area to be cleared just at that time, I'll be knocking at your door.

Gonzo:

Ever heard of wake turbulence separation? (on departure) 2 minutes?

So if all departures go straight ahead to 5nm, then every single departure would be a minimum of 2 minutes separation behind the last.
Errr, you like to give the impression you are in Heathrow ATC. Are you really?

There is no time separation between similar weight types, which is why I attempted to separate small aircraft from larger in this runway layout. Thus, as any real controller would know, there is no 2 minute separation for departures. (But there is a distance separation of 5nm, if I remember correctly.)

Take a look at 2.7 in the following CAA AIC.
http://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/1166.pdf

The only exception to this is the A380. But I think this was a political move by Boeing, to decrease the appeal of the A380 by giving it extra time separations for approach and departure.

Gonzo:

So if all departures go straight ahead to 5nm, then every single departure would be a minimum of 2 minutes separation behind the last. As I'm sure you know, the ICAO regulations in SOIR DOC9643 say that simultaneous departures from parallel runways should diverge immediately after take off.
And they do diverge - at 5nm (the 2 minutes is a red herring). Ok, so if you want to increase departure rates, then you diverge a bit earlier - by the recommended 15 degrees. Which gives the following departure routes. The only real restriction here is waiting until the Left departure turns (at 3nm), before the Center departure rolls.

The 'domestic' departure tracks crossing the heavies, to fly south is more of a problem, I agree, so I have included a circling departure. Not so efficient for the operator, but may be necessary during peak flow times (but not at other times).