PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Autothrottle System
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2002, 13:29
Slasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our mob (or should I say the mob I worked for till recentley) had a policy of landing the 737 with AT deselected (ARM). However I found years ago its a good idea to keep MCP SPD in all the way down during a non-precision (NDB or VOR) app at night when nature is hurling huge buckets of water in your face and all you have are fuzzy lights ahead (and no CL or TDZ lighting) and the light of an odd angry lightning bolt to guide you.

In wx like this I used to keep the thing in. Stick to vertical profile as best you can. The AT will do a reasonable job of taking care of speed at a critical time when just trying to keep the bloodey aeroplane straight along the extended centreline in varying strong xwind takes precedance. Just as the AT retards, flare slightley and bobs your uncle. Gives you an idea where the hell the ground is too.

In good wx most pilots deselect SPEED mode at about 1000 ft. This still leaves in all your speed-protection sh!t. Only the Quake kids keep the AT in MCP SPD mode all the way to the deck till RETARD so Ive noticed.