PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Standards
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2002, 11:36
Mighty Thor

Most of the previous postings on this subject are thought provoking and erudite in their comprehension. Sadly though I feel the same tired old theme shines through, its not our fault. The tried and tested targets of blame are rolled out yet again, CAA are ineffective, Managers are incompetent and overbearing, Flight crew are arrogant and disdainful towards us, the media show no interest etc etc etc.

As a group of people who pride ourselves on being consumate porfessionals do we seriously want to create the impression to the world at large that we require the CAA to provide us with a Nanny State style of regulation. To provide procedures that remove the ability for us to address with interpretive flexibility almost any situation, just so we can turn round and say to some high flying, dice shaking buffoon who has long forgotten how to read and write, " Sorry mate, can't do that CAA says so!"

The CAA by its own admission is not perfect but try working under some other regulatory authorities auspices, I have, now there is grounds for complaint!!

Contrary to popular dispatches may I suggest that the CAA considers a licenced engineer to be a mature and responsible individual who is more than capable of interpreting the existing regs to the benefit of all, AWN's 3, 10 & 47 to name a few. It may not appear so to some but they do extend a level of respect and freedom to us that, in some instances is not deserved.

Another thought worth consideration, how many engineers have sat in a flight deck on a high volume, multisector day plagued with foul weather with an aircraft carrying multiple ADD's. Its only then that you can appreciate some of the problems a crew deal with. Yes I know there are examples of arrogance that are not warranted but these people by taking an aircraft into the air are basically performing an unnatural act, landing even more so. This has to load the cart after a while. We would not be professional if we did not consider these influences when a four ringer is launching into an animated tirade.

Managers or bullies, deal with it the same way, not worth any more time.

Expose our industry to the vagrancies of the great British press, if it ever comes to that its over.

Perhaps the workings of the legal and to some degree the medical profession should be observed, fix this problem from within. The way forward is for the crews and engineers, the two significant professional bodies to find the common ground and stand together. First however each faction must unite in its own right.

For the umpteenth time in my career I am staring into the abyss, brought about by financial disorganisation, inexperienced fast track management and commercial greed. It is because of such a unification mentioned above that all involved will survive.