PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH
Thread: SARH
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 11:31
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab,
If that is your idea of a retraction, then I guess that will have to do.

Incidentally, can you not see the irony of pouring scorn on my "modified PAR" technique and then putting forward your own?

chopabeefer

1. Traditionaly in this country we tend to not go in for self adulation in public. We usually leave that to the Americans and gangsta rappers, plus too much self admiration might be considered dangerous in a pilot, perhaps?

2. "Training is varied as much as imagination can allow but it always within the confines of the rules"

You are talking about formal training.

Rightly or wrongly, I suspect most of us have learned some of our biggest lessons whilst doing stupid things in our youth, both airborne and not.

As big butch Oscar said, "Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught"

I would not say "nothing", but I agree with his gist.

3. "Is a SAROP the best time to explore the untested? A really daft question, asked by somebody who has not the first idea about SAR. It is clearly the only time"

The problem with the RAF "SAR for life" system is that most of you are so parochial. You really consider SAR to be of core importance to this country.

There are many operational reasons in non-SAR aircraft that are a lot easier to justify when stretching the rule book.

It is easy on a shout to get caught up in the moment, but is there ever really a good reason to risk the aircraft by stretching the rules on something as mundane and frankly unimportant as SAR?

Compared to the operational imperative of getting the troops to the right place/sinking the Kursk/bombing the dam, rescuing some spanish fisherman with a tummy ache is pretty low down the list of reasons to employ some flexibility of interpretation.

Don't get me wrong, I loved doing SAR, but if I ran the budgets I would chop it overnight. In terms of cost per life saved it is truly, truly ridiculous.
If it was not for international obligations, and NICE was allowed to judge SAR on it's benefits, SAR would be gone overnight.

SAR is not the best reason to break a rule.