PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 03:04
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FGD 135
could you please give your opinions as to the blame apportionment.
I've never sat down to think about how blame should be apportioned, except to say that there are several parties that contributed to this very sad event. Some of whom it would appear went to great lengths to distance themselves from any blame.

Here are the main contributing factors in my view, not in any order of significance.

1. Last minute change of co-ordinates which were not advised to the crew.
2. Lack of knowledge about sector white out.
3. A crew that was going to the South Pole for the first time.
4. Previous trips that had openly operated in contravention of the agreed rules, thus setting a precedent.
5. The decision of the crew to descend when/where they did.
6. Substandard regulatory oversight.
7. No comment to the crew from McMurdo Radar regarding the 25 mile lateral displacement from previous flights.

If we then allocate responsibility for each of the these factors (some factors may have more importance than others) then we can start to apportion blame.

Air New Zealand has to take the blame for items 1,2,3, and 4. Regarding items 2 and 3 I see them as being responsible for the training of the crew and ensuring the operating crew are well prepared for the trip.

The crew have to take responsibility for item 5,

NZCAA item 6

McMurdo radar for not being as vigilant as you might expect for item 7

I'm not sure what level of significance you should place on each item but for now I figure it as follows.

AirNZ 60%
Crew 25%
CAA 10%
McMurdo 5%