PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter Flying
Thread: Winter Flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 21:24
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to post here regularly and ask for help and advice but stopped, as you see from the first reply, some of these guys are so up their own arse’s you don't really get any useful help. It really pisses me off...........
You may have inadvertently hit the nail which applies to so many questions on pilot forums.

Too many people post one-liners, which can be answered only with an essay. Obviously I have no idea whether the original poster wanted an essay but you don't need a PhD, or indeed much if any knowledge of aviation, to know that a one-liner such as

This will be my first winter as a PPL. Any thoughts or advice? Particularly carb ice and cold related issues !
is hugely unlikely to elicit a useful one-line reply.

Some one-liners can be answered in a flash; e.g. if you ask what is the minimum # of hours for a JAA PPL, the answer is a simple 45.

But not this one.

There is actually a lot of experience on this forum but most of the writers have written a lot of stuff, over years, helping people out. Most are not going to bother when the original writer has just thrown in a one-liner question. Whether you like it or not, that's human nature.

If somebody wants a half decent reply on a somewhat wide topic, they need to make a bit of an effort, and show that they have given the questions some careful consideration. Probably easier said than done if posting off an iphone but there lies another common problem.....