PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR Corp files bankruptcy in New York
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 20:48
Uncle Fred

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
There is only one CEO but when tens of thousands of staff are paid a large percentage higher than the market rate, no company can survive.

Full disclosure: I do not, nor ever have, worked for AMR but I would again maintain that the above position is severely weakened by not, either out or commission or ommisision, stating exactly what that market rate is.

Looking at peer competitors in the United States (one would assume we would have to limit the statistical sample to that geographical region for this example) one finds a broadly diverse level of remuneration--American pilots would have to take a pay raise if on Southwest's pay scale and a cut if on that of United or USAirways. Productivity measures would need to be made to see how these pilots contribute to the revenue model vis a vis the competitors.

If I am errant I will certainly admit it, but I keep thinking that one cannot say that any pilot group (or work group for that matter) is unduly (either high or low) paid until one can accurately state what that market rate exactly is. Just saying "it is too much" does not cut it here.

For those who are going to argue so, please (!) help us along with giving us figures with which to work. What should these groups be paid? By giving us this figure, you will give us a benchmark against which to weigh your argument. Again, without them, the argument is nugatory.

Last edited by Uncle Fred; 2nd Dec 2011 at 21:03.