PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 10th Nov 2002, 08:49
Kefuddle_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying type ratings is such a game for *Jim Carey voice* "LOOO - HOOO-OOOSSERSS!!*
*Forrest Gump voice* "Why tharts thar nicest thang that enybody ayver sayed to may"

They're not expanding, so where is this miraculous F/O job going to appear from? Hmmm. Could it be by any chance at the expense of some bloke who bought his rating 6 months ago who is about to be thrown out on his ear, to make way for the next wave of type-rating-buyers? Guess what guys, those people make just about as much money from selling type ratings to wannabes as they do from flying freight
There is a word for a similar kind of sharp practice in the IT industry. It is called "stiffing". I'm not altogether sure if you were joking about that are trying to relay some kind of suspected practice. If operators are treating employment 'prospects' like that then one of the unions/DTi should be informed - I would have thought.

Regarding the twin advice. Yes I have been told that too. But if you look at the other TR related post. One guy with thousands of hours on Turbo Props was turned down in favour of someone with 200hrs and a 737 type rating.

Obvisouly you don't get through the fATPL process by being stupid so all of us should have there wherewithal to minimise risk and maximise potential at every opportunity.

As for me being an oldie wannabe I will be looking at the regionals. No fancy Jet job ideas here...yet. So I will almost certainly have to cough up for a TR. Not that I want to but I really cannot expect anything else, I also would like to be in a negotiating position when I have enough hours to warrant a reasonable level of experience.

Thanks for your frank views,
Kef.