PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH
Thread: SARH
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 17:13
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Off

"I'm afraid that the rules regarding precision approaches and required visual references do not require 'flexibility'"

When you are a little less wet behind the ears, you may learn that Aviation is not about rules and all about flexibility.

We have rules to try to guide us down the correct path, but only a non-aviator believes that everything you may come across is in the rule book. Sometimes you need a little bit of flexibility of thinking.

That is why knowing about little tricks like staying high on the glidepath so you are over the runway at DH is worthwhile. Not because it should be normal proceedure, but because on that occasion when you have no diversion, no fuel left and no other option but a PAR to below minima then it might just save your life.

Incidentally, it was taught to me by an ex boss of trappers who I was crewed up with on the 771. I suppose that by the time you get to that position you have got over your current "shiney new IRI IRE / very excited / rule fascist" phase that newbies such as yourself tend to go through before they grow up and realise that life is not black and white in the SAR world.

Not everything in the rule book is right, and not everything that is right is in the rule book.

Farseastdriver

"All aircraft are flown within the remit;- IAW the Company Operations Manual.
End of story"

Ok, here is a scenario.

You, as a civilian, are flying your shiney new s92 IAW the Company manual etc.

You go out on a shout for a sinking cruise liner on a dark stormy night way out in the Atlantic. You start rescuing survivors in the water. After you have got 10 rescued, you realise because you have done very careful calculations that you have reached max allowable all up weight.

But there are 3 children left in the dark and stormy waters beneath you.

You know that they will be dead before you can return to land and come back to them.

Do you leave them?

Or do you say "sod the manual, I know there is some flex in the weights and I will pick up the kids"?

End of Story?

Do you think the company would thank you for rigid adherance to the rules in that case, or are things never quite so black and white as that?

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Captaincy is the art of knowing exactly when to break the rules, and by how much.

We are again, however, rather diverging from the question of when Crab is going to produce figures showing that Culdrose is a bad place for SAR due wx......