PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL before Airline Training
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 10:58
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLC
I also second the suggestion made by BackPacker: gliding. How many times did that experience save lives when forced to do a deadstick landing?
Zero times?

"Captain! We seem to have run out of fuel! (and I told you those were litres, not gallons)"

"Never mind young lad, I've got lots of gliding experience under my belt. Ah, there is a nice cumulus over there... see if we can get under it."

...or...

"Aren't we lucky? Those are the Himalayas, that's going to be some cracking orographic lift--think we can beat Steve Foster's altitude record, FO?"

Yes, I can see how essential a life-saving skill gliding experience is to an airline pilot

Nothing against gliding, btw (I've done a couple of hours myself and enjoyed it) but that was a bit of a preposterous comment you made there. Pilots have attributed their coming out alive of a sticky situation to all sorts of things, some more reasonable than others: from military experience, to gliding, to luck (), to riding motorcycles (the DHL shot down in Iraq, IIRC). To my knowledge however, no objective studies have ever been mind to back up any of those assertions.