PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 07:25
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit more delay in IOC in order to "get it right the first time.
Not the best choice of words and something that in all fairness to everyone involved with this aircraft... Probably an impossible dream.

I am NOT being critical of this specific aircraft, I would like to think I am being realistic and would simply ask what military aircraft in recent times has come straight out of the box and gone operational without 'teething problems'

Is the F-35 any better or any worse than its predecessors or do we now have the technology to detect all these issues?

I am still concerned over the lack of forethought into the make-up of the complete air package on these carriers and am still not convinced we will ever see them both fully operational. Will we have the man power to put these ships to sea?

To me the term fully operational means deploying overseas with an operational air group and being able to deploy anywhere in the World to carry out any task demanded by Her\His Majesty's Government.

I cringe at the thought of putting an E2 on the deck of a 21st century carrier and what next, the Fairey Swordfish?

No doubt the F-35C will have the ability to carry out automated landings aboard the carrier and this type of avionics will be expected on all carrier based aircraft. I dread to think of work involved to drag these older aircraft into the 21st century but experiences so far have dictated that this is not an easy, nor cheap task. I am still of the opinion that the cheapest option would be to bite the bullet and buy 'off the shelf' any and all support aircraft UNLESS the conversion work is achievable and at an agreed contract price!

Unmanned Aircraft
Surely they are here and there numbers are increasing annually. Boots on the ground locating targets or even the UAV that can remain on site for 24hrs hunting targets of oppurtunity and then engaging with air to ground missiles?

Can these 'boots on the ground' launch their own radio controlled aircraft to illuminate a target or area they want hit and then have the larger UAV carry out the task? I am thinking back to Desert Storm and those evil 16" guns of the USS Missouri. The accuracy of her weapons was mainly down to this type of technology. Maybe our second or should that be first carrier might deploy with smaller UAVs