PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2011, 21:08
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel guilty about having this conversation on the Harrier thread and hopefully this is a better location for this type of discussion?

Originally Posted by Our Boffin
No idea re F35 buddy stores (or more precisley wet wing hardpoints). Daft way to use a $150M strikefighter if you ask me.
TOTALLY 100% agree and please do not think this was my idea. I was just the messenger.

The U.K. has asked Lockheed Martin to assess the feasibility of using the F-35C in a buddy-buddy refueling mode. Under rules of the JSF program, countries must themselves fund studies into unique capabilities they want for an aircraft. Since the U.S. can rely on F/A-18E/F Super Hornets as carrier-based refuelers, the U.K. has to finance the engineering assessment on its own.
It seems crazy that at this late stage our Ministry of defence does not have a finite requirement of what is required for a complete air package for this 21st century state of the art carrier.

I think it is a given that having multiple types of aircraft will be an extremely expensive option but surely having to develop a fourth generation aircraft to carry out such a mundane task is going to be a HUGE expense and a horrible waste of a valuable resource?

The more I think about the S3B option, the more it appeals. Another question... I accept the 35C is supposed to be a stealth aircraft but would it also be worth having the Growler as part of your air group? Or if the EW requirement is required would you opt for the older Prowler?

PLEASE accept my apologies for jumping ship but this does appear to be a more apt place to have this discussion.

Will the first completed carrier still have the ski slope and if so why, unless I guess they operate up in the Artic circle where they might be able to take advantage of the snow? (apologies for my humour)