PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing Air Maroc on EHAM june 6th
Old 1st Dec 2011, 15:06
MathFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's fair that the DSB spends quite some paper on the topic of goose control, because implementing measures will mean a structural safety improvement for EHAM.

On the incident flight, it looks like the captain lost his cool, made several bad decisions and seemed to have forgotten all he was trained to do in this situation, I don't think that a CVR transcript will show more than "panic in the cockpit".
We all agree that a pilot who panics because of an incident is likely to make the already bad situation worse. The big question is how to get cool heads in the cockpit so that we don't depend on luck to get the plane safely on the ground. In my opinion simulator training plays a big role in this.
But to asses whether a pilot will "break" it is important that the situation of an incident is simulated as good as possible, and that includes the aspect of surprise. It is not too difficult to include that in a simulator session...
On the other hand, pilots in a simulator know that they'll walk away from a "crash"; creating the true fear of death will be impossible in a sim.