PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sentenced
Thread: Pilot Sentenced
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2011, 11:42
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exeng, PPL holders can be perfectly professional pilots just as some Commercial pilots are not professional - there is a difference (and I don't mean in the licence held.)
The reaction on here to Commercial pilots who are convicted of flying with alcohol levels above the legal limit never ceases to amaze me. ANY pilot who flies in such a state is breaking the law and acting unprofessionally just as any driver breaking the legal limit would be. There is, therefore, no good reason why a pilot should be treated more leniently than a driver. NONE WHATSOEVER. It isn't just pilots who can lose their livelihood by having such a conviction, it happens to drivers too but for some reason a convicted driver doesn't attract an outbreak of hysteria demanding that (s)he should be treated differently. It's time to stop this ridiculous attitude and the pathetic attempts to justify the unjustifiable. If you have been drinking you should not fly/drive/operate machinery/ go to work if you are a doctor/nurse or other person in a position involving the care of other people etc. The same applies to those who take drugs.
Before anyone asks, I have never drunk alcohol and driven, flown or gone to work, nor do I have any convictions for doing so. I do think such people should be offered as much help as possible. I also happen to think that discussing a case before it has been to court is not sensible as a wrongly accused person can have his or her life ruined by such speculation - the old "There's no smoke without fire" saying. I also have absolutely NO problem with people enjoying alcoholic beverages - just not to the extent where they affect others.