PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Ground School Thread '09 -'11 (Merged)
Old 1st Dec 2011, 10:25
Halfwayback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky4892

Normally I am bullish about the aviation industry having benefitted from 21 years of commercial aviation. However I'm sorry to be a doom-monger but with airlines going under (and in my opinion we have not reached the bottom of the cyclical boom / bust that always affects commercial aviation) now is NOT a good time to start training to be a pilot.

Look at the other threads in this forum. See what other experienced pilots are saying. Look at other forums such as Terms and Endearment and read the posts in there.

I admire perseverance and tenacity in pursuing a goal - and I mean a goal, not a dream! However you will see that some in this forum have learned the hard way that obstinacy is not a virtue; they are in debt with little chance of a job.

Airlines need to save money and they will take on fully qualified, experienced pilots who, through no fault of their own are out of work, and may even be type rated already. They are employing a 'known' product and, thanks to the principle of joining a company at the most junior position and working your way up, there is no financial benefit to the airline in hiring (and line training) a newbie. The only time they will employ Direct Entry Captains (DEC) is when they can't promote experienced folk within the airline.

I advise strongly against starting down the long path until you start to see jobs advertised in Flight. By all means change the subject of your degree but steer clear of the commercial aviation world for a while.

Halfwayback