PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports on Red Arrows and Flt Lt Cunningham's death
Old 30th Nov 2011, 21:53
formertonkaplum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK10 Operation

Now my experience is the MK10 on Tornado.

But

What if the Static rod to the Drogue was not connected / reset correctly / or pinned to the anchor on the main gun correctly?

From my recollection, there would be no drouge deployment and as the inflated drogues withdraw it, no main para deployment regardless of Barostat operation to release harness and open scissor shackle.

Ultimately this is a tragic situation for all that are connected to it. The loss reminds us all the fragility of life but please also remember, there are some engineers in the equation as well. Those who installed and inspected the installation of that seat, I would imagine will be inconsolable. From my experience, Plumbers take immense pride and care with seat work; I know I did and the professional let alone the emotional hurt those guys will currently be experiencing will be unimaginable by most.

As for how / why the Seat was initiated I think only the board with all the facts have a chance to determine.