PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFL-Field Choice
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2011, 17:41
SEP Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do with too much engine power!

Originally Posted by mary meagher
Good point raised that the more likely happening is a loss of power rather than a dead stop! In the Supercub, 2,000' over Banbury, the examiner, who I know to be one of the most crafty and knowlegable of pilots, told me that I now had only half the usual power, and what was I going to do about it?
During a checkride a few months back with an instructor in a C152, we were climbing at full power (after a stalling exercise) and about 15 miles away from the airfield, when he told me to imagine the throttle cable had snapped, so the engine was kept at full power - the cloud base was at about 3,000ft, we were practically back at 3,000 and the airspeed got faster and faster - and I am VFR only. What should I do?

As ppl training seems to concentrate on loss of engine power and how to deal with it, it did throw me! (I'm a low hours ppl so am still learning a lot!)

The answer was of course simple (ok, the instructor told me) - full flaps to reduce speed, fly back to your airfield, then full idle cut off to stop engine and do a glide approach.

It was a very good example to me of having something thrown at you that is completely unexpected and not covered in basic training!