PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH
Thread: SARH
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2011, 17:05
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minima for PAR in a seaking = 150' last time I looked.
Red means cloudbase below 200ft

Also, at DA/DH you must be able to see the "required visual references", not, I repeat not, be clear of cloud. The required visual references include runway lighting which can be seen through a lot of cloud.(especially if you fly high all the way down the approach so that MAP is over the runway itself. It has to be pretty thick to not be able to see vertically 150')

An airfield will declare colour code red if the cloud base is below 200' in any sector. Culdrose has 6 runways. It is very common that one of the available ones will be usable even if the others are not. At Culdrose, the red colour code which you may see on your brief at your own airfield far away is often caused by fog funneling from either the Helford or Loe Bar and only impinges on one area of the airfield. The other areas are often available in beautiful VMC. Many is the time I have landed on 30 in sunshine to meet a solid wall of fog half way down the runway.

The ability is grub in with relative ease is not irrelevent. You cannot make a low level landfall approach to Newquay in the same way. The cliff makes it a little more tricky. Culdrose is very nicely placed in terms of options. The Lizard gives both an easterly and westerly "grub" option depending on the wind. One side is invariably clear.

Are you telling me that the modern Seaking replacement will not be Cat II anyway?

The proof is in the pudding.

It has been posted on here that Culdrose has a poor weather factor which makes it unsuitable for SAR.

Normally the burden of proof would fall upon the postee to back that up with some stats.

Show me a list of SAR bases and jobs lost due wx please or stfu.

Last edited by Tourist; 30th Nov 2011 at 19:24.