PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should we Name & Shame G Day Workers?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2011, 11:08
Loopdeloop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point illusion, although the language police might be on your doorstep shortly!

There's no shame in working a G day and I don't know why anyone thinks there is. This job is full of choices and for each one you take, someone else may suffer or benefit a little:
a. If you request Christmas off, someone else who may be more in need might not get it off.
b. If you apply for a joker it may mess with someone else's potential roster in order to accommodate it.
c. If you applied for a freighter command then someone more senior may not have been offered a command as quickly, but may benefit from better rosters and more pay!
d. If you go sick for a sniffle then someone else may have to work a weekend of requested G's and miss his wife's birthday (they can extend you into a G on a whim if they wish)
e. If you opt for super-compact rosters then someone less senior may not get them and someone more senior may not get the trip they want.
f. If you work a G then someone on reserve may not get called out into overtime (but may be happier to have the day at home with their children anyway)

We all draw our own line in the sand. For many it lies just in front of working a G, for some it lies just behind. I've not worked a G for over 10 years but I wouldn't hesitate if my family were away from home for a few months visiting sick relatives and it meant I could spend a few more days with them.
The arrogance of those telling me not to work G's almost makes me want to offer my services next time I'm off, except that I value my time off more than I value the point I'm trying to make (which I fear would be lost anyway!)

Until such a time as we vote in CC these are all individual choices and should be treated as such.