PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Software on PDA for TCO
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 18:25
Dropline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of a PDA with the software/systems I need to do my job is a good one and would be useful. However having trialled one of these devices, I can tell you that capturing real time data on a hand held device is not practical.

As despatcher or TCO you can't possibly see every single thing as it happens - how do I record the time cleaning finishes if I'm down on the ramp recording the time the fuelling started or the baggage offload finished? How do I record the doors opening time while using both my hands to open the door? I already have a clipboard, ear defenders and radio to carry - this is just one more item to cart around while also trying to drive an airbridge, open and close doors, pull boarding cards and carry pushchairs, not to mention trying to complete a manual loadsheet. Electronic real time data capture is great in theory but completely impractical in real life. Most of our times are "guesstimates" anyway - the only time we need to be 100% accurate is when we attribute a delay to a service provider. The data would be no more accurate than if it was recorded by pen and paper, so why bother?