PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferris Wheel crash at Old Bar
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 07:28
morno

Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
morno......Summed it up well there Would you like to expand on your opinion?
Certainly.

From the Prelim ATSB Report, it appears that:
  • The PIC appears to have been not properly licenced
  • The Aircraft appears to have not been registered
  • The PIC landed downwind
  • The PIC "appears" to be telling fibs during his statement (note - I can only base that opinion on the very different evidence that has appeared as witness statements and videos)
  • The PIC did not seek approval from the aerodrome operator to operate at the aerodrome
  • The PIC did not seek information on obstacles etc. from the aerodrome operator
Overall, it appears the PIC really didn't have a clue.

The pilot reported overflying the Old Bar Airstrip and, after checking the windsock and assessing that there was no wind, electing to enter the downwind leg of the circuit for what he described as ‘the southern runway’. When questioned further, the pilot could not identify the strip directions at Old Bar, explaining that it was appropriate to use the terms ‘from the north or south’ when making circuit entry radio calls.
Really? I must remember that one next time I go join the circuit somewhere.

It appears that a ton of bricks is about to come down on this gentlemen by ways of possible law suits and possible prosecution.

morno

Disclaimer - The above opinion is based solely on the information provided by the ATSB report and does not have any basis upon information of my own knowledge.