PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 05:36
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Righting Some Wrongs

I haven’t followed every last post but I offer the following thoughts.

THE FIVE YEAR RULE:

If an individual has received a campaign medal or gallantry award without a campaign medal but has served less than the 5 years minimum: award the QDJM.

INJUSTICE:

Personnel of the RAF Reserve (Civilian Component): RAFR(CC) are formally appointed to uniformed posts; the officers are gazetted, appear in the Air Force List (when it was published), get the scroll from HM, wear uniform which is indistinguishable from other service personnel, and often hold command authority over regular personnel. In some cases their duties are more onerous than those of the RAFR holding what the service classes as ‘real reserve appointments’.

These RAFR(CC) are, however, recruited through the civil service channels and are paid against an equivalent civil service grade eg: Sqn Ldr = C2. Often, RAFR(CC) are the ‘public face’ of the RAF in areas such as community relations and they can be involved in administering some elements of our international commitments. Those who administer the air cadets, control and oversee the work of the RAFVR(T) and provide professional and service related ‘competences’ which VR(T) personnel don’t have.

It is likely that RAFR(CC) will not be deemed eligible for the QDJM, although RAFVR(T) will be and you may wish to compare this with, for example, Police Community Support Officers, who will be eligible on the time rule.

I declare that I have no personal interest in this anomaly, other than to see ‘justice’ for those who make a valuable contribution to the armed forces, its reserves and cadets.

Old Duffer