PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 05:01
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
VH-UNA, -UNB, -UNK series of Aztecs

Looked up my logbook today just to see where these Aztecs were located in the late 60's.

I'd been Aztec endorsed by both Cec Randall and Ron Firns in 1967, and had a fair bit of 'C' model time up by the time I got to Airfast.

In April 1968, I was asked to do some w/e work to relieve John Weymouth at Airfast,POM. I was currency checked on -UNA, which was a 'B' model, at POM. The checking pilot was Capt John Simmler - a nicer gent you'd be struggling to find. Within 2 weeks I'd experienced a HF failure and a hydraulics failure - not an auspicious start!. UNA was getting a bit long in the tooth, but flew very well.

In May '68, UNA was joined by -UNB, which according to my records, was an 'A' model? These 2 older Aztecs stayed in POM until later in '68.

Then in Nov '68, I see that I was using -UNK, which was a fuel injected 'C' model. It had been over in Rabaul if I remember rightly. We used -UNK until June '69, and then went back to -UNA for the rest of that year.

My best memories of -UNK were of loading the front locker full of Daru barras, loading in the 'Glomar Conception' crew, and flying back to POM as high as practicable to keep 'em cool.

happy days