PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REDjet
Thread: REDjet
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 01:43
NightWolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, let me say that I am personally all for change in the right direction.

From what I believe (my facts could be wrong you tell me pprune) as it was said early up in the forum, RedJet was supposed to fly medium range routes ( BGI - KIN etc.) that was the initial agreement was the Barbadian Government. RedJet knew at that point in time that the Barbadian Government gives full support to LIAT and that the Grantley Adams Airport was also downgraded to Cat 2. From a Government point of view; the game plan was to increase travel to and from BGI via RedJet and still allow BGI to be a hub for LIAT (technically a win win for both airlines and government). The problem arises with delays in the RedJet operations due to unforeseen circumstances and not being able to go to some U.S destinations (despite RJ said they were not interested as yet in the American market). If you live in the eastern Caribbean, you should know that SLU is one of the money wells for LIAT. As a government trying to please both sides this why there is this problem.

My personal solution to the problem:
RedJet: Simply consider other medium range routes. Honestly, a MD-82 to go to SLU from BGI which is 0.5 air time if so much lol, to me not worth it plus the aircraft is the wrong type for such a short route. On the business end ( I don't know) 150 pax at $20US profitable for a short flight? RJ can do routes like BGI-FPO, CUR -ANU, GEO- NAS just to name a few,

LIAT: Continue to restructure. Times are changing and to be competitive you need to change. As in one post; the airline can not continue to hide behind the three- headed beast (ANU, BGI & SVD). The whole function of a business is to make money .....it is not a hobby.

Barbadian Government: Open more gateways to other countries that other airlines can service. Quite frankly a Barbadian airline that created Barbadian jobs who bring people to Barbados; I am sure you could do better to aid the situation. However, no 8M bail outs.

However, I do wish that the airlines could coexist for the eastern Caribbean's sake. I think it is a nice ecosystem but everyone has to know their role in the system. On that count I am going to have myself another rum and coke.

Cheers