PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 year old student pilot in need of career advice
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 23:45
Iain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Buddy,
In the US what degree you get and where you get it really is not important. All that matters is on the application you can put an 'x' by college degree. I suggest doing something apart from aviation because if you do lose your medical or just want a career change later in life you have something to fall back on.
Basically the way it works in the US is you work up to your Instructor rating. Currently you need 1000TT and a 100 ME to be hired by a regional, and people generally fly for them for 2-5 years before moving onto the majors.
Once you have your degree and your CFI, inbstructing will be your job and the biggest effect that will have on you is you will only be making a tiny amount of money ($10 a flying hour, no flying no pay!).
There is a great site about becoming an airline pilot in US. Unfortunately I got an ear full last time I post the link, so send us a quick email ([email protected] <---big hint!), and I will send it to you. It will certainly answer your questions!
Iain