PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro American School of Aviation Ormond Beach FL - AVOID!!!!!!!
Old 28th Nov 2011, 17:42
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like it's gone downhill in the last few years. I did my PPL there around 6 years ago - had an excellent instructor (same guy for the whole duration who got a biz jet job the week I left), great aircraft availability on the C152s they had, and was with a great bunch of fellow students who I still (although sproadically) keep in touch with.

Back then, if you had the right attitude, and AT didn't take a dislike to you - you were fine.

I didn't pay until I got there as I wanted to check the place out, and accepted the small percentage uplift for the privilege. Put 5 weeks aside and did it in 4 without too much pressure, including the exams (although I did hit the books a month in advance of going). Accomo was fine - I booked an individual room and got exactly what it said on the tin.

I even got some money back from them as I'd bought 10 hours and only used 5 - they didn't have a problem with it (and in turn I vacated the house a few hours early to help them out on my last day). All in all a nice bunch.

Lunches at the golf club, bought a bike from Walmart and sold it on when I left, and even had a few days at the end for XCs for lunch and a visit to Nasa with a hire car.

All in all, it was a great experience, and substantially cheaper at the time than if I'd done it at home (with Aberdeen being, and still is, extortionate) - and at home, I'd never have got the continuity of training with work/family/wx etc. Then got home and got embroiled in the FAS-going-bust nonsense with endless check-outs (with different instructors who all wanted a turn flying with me before they signed me off - bit cheeky) and other issues which drove me bonkers compared to the US regime and cost me about a 1/5th of what I'd just spent for nothing.

So - horses for courses. I had a great time, but that was years ago, and was with a great bunch of students. There were a few even then who rocked up, wanted to only fly twice a week, complained about everything rather than accept their own limitations or lack of commitment, and left early.

Can't speak for it now, but training in the US shouldn't be written off entirely - flying over there is a dream compared with Eurocrap land.

As everyone says - do your research, get reviews, go prepared, and never pay up front (accepting you might pay a little more for the privilege).